Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and subsequently make a purchase, I will earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Have you seen the gazillion pins out there on Sales funnel, Passive income funnel Or making money on auto piolet?
What the heck are they?
The basic concept behind them is the same.
The term Sales Funnel might sound tricky.
But what about making money every day on autopilot, with products you already have? That’s pretty fun..huh?
In this post, I’m going to share with you what is a Sales Funnel, How to set it up, and how to make consistent income through that.
What’s a sales funnel?
A sales funnel is basically the journey of a stranger or a casual reader from being completely new to you and your business/brand to becoming a customer.
It is simply a sequence of events/emails you set up, where your target audience is first pulled into your content via a free email course or awesome freebie you offer, and then provided with additional content pieces that serve three primary purposes:
- To educate them about the topic
- To help them take actionable steps toward achieving something
- To lead people to a purchase
Essentially, funnels take people on an attractive route to their destination, which is your solution for them.
This is a completely automated system meaning that once you set it up it runs automatically and can add a nice passive income stream to your business.
And once you know what the heck they are and how to set them up, you’re going to be making money while you sleep and bringing in new email subscribers every single day like.
When you have a sales funnel, you:
- Engages and builds trust with new subscribers
- Intentionally guides through a sales experience that invites them to purchase in an authentic and non-salesy way
- Saves you the time of having to sell your services or products one-on-one
- Runs in the background even when you’re busy doing other things
- Gets you paid for building your email list
- Can make money on autopilot
- Can sell more of the products you already have.
- Can bring in new subscribers every single day, without too much extra work once it’s set up.
Add sales funnel image
Do I need to create a sales funnel?
Are you happy to make some random sales here and there and only during big promos?
No, you probably not.
Then definitely you need a SYSTEM for bringing in cash every single day.
You can’t just create an eBook, or an evergreen course, Or put up service, and hope that sales trickle in.
You need to communicate with your new subscribers, EDUCATE them, and pitch them strategically.
You can do all these by creating a sales funnel.
Once you set it upright, then you don’t need to work on getting sales every single day.
What do I need to create a sales funnel?
You likely already have a lot of the pieces you’ll need for your sales funnel that we can tweak and optimize.
You can literally create a sales funnel within a week, using content You Have Already Created, to sell more of the products You Already Have. This does not take months to implement.
You need just a few things:
- An Entry Gateway (content magnet)
- A lead magnet
- An Introductory Offer
- Core offer
- System to Capture lost leads
(Wanna deep-dive into funnels? This book is really awesome..and it’s free!)
Note : – It actually does take some initial effort to set this all up but once it’s setup, it’s done and it runs on autopilot.
Now let’s start building our Sales Funnel
Steps to create my sales funnel?
Creating an entire sales funnel can feel like a really overwhelming task.
One way to overcome this and make building your funnel manageable and organized is to think of your sales funnel as five separate Phases.
I also prefer to break it down this way because it makes it easier to optimize each piece of your funnel and build it gradually.
Below are the 5 steps for creating a highly effective sales funnel
- Create a high value read (content) magnet
- Create a lead magnet
- Create your Introductory Offer
- Build your Core offer
- Have a system to Capture lost leads
Step 1 – Create a high-value read (content) magnet
What the heck is this content magnet?
Why didn’t I mention the Lead magnet first?
It’s because I believe highly -effective sales funnels need to warm up the reader first.
This is the Entry Gateway to your highly effective sales funnel. Make the entry gate more attractive so that more and more people get inside your funnel.
So the first thing you need to do is start mapping out an in-depth, jaw-dropping blog post that hits on the one struggle most of your audience are facing.
Now does it absolutely have to be a blogpost?
I am a blogger, so I prefer writing an in-depth blog post.
You can create a video or even a podcast episode around it. Or host a FB Live broadcast about it, Or create a video and upload it on Youtube.
Choose whichever method is comfortable for you.
The ultimate goal of all this effort is to attract people who are interested in that specific topic.
If you prefer writing blog posts, there are three types of blog post that do well
- A tutorial Post/ How to…
- A list Post/ 7 strategies…/5 tips….
- A Casestudy
Once you create it you have to find out a way to bring this in front of your readers.
How to drive people towards you’re your entry gateway?
Here is how you can do this
- Create multiple Pins and promote it on Pinterest
- Optimize your blog post for google search
- Email your list with a link to the post
- Post the link inside your Facebook group and also promote it on other Facebook Groups
- Post it on your Facebook Page
- Pimp it out on your social media channels
- Talk about it on a FB Live Broadcast
- Create guest posts for other sites around this topic that link back to your post
- Drive some paid traffic to it – Facebook ads/Promoted Pins
The goal is to get people on your page, consuming that content and opting in for your lead magnet.
Step 2: Create a killer Lead Magnet
A lead magnet is something you offer to people in exchange for their emails.
An effective lead magnet is something that not only builds upon your Content Magnet but takes it to the next level.
This should be something that provides extra value to your reader. It should be something that is educational or a resource that helps your reader to solve a problem.
How to decide what offer as a Lead Magnet?
When creating your Lead Magnet, you need to focus on the website visitor. What would they want to take their experience with your website visit to the next level?
I am totally against creating a 100 page e-book as a lead magnet. Because as a busy mom, I don’t have that much time to read the complete e-book. What I need is something that gives me a quick win.
I recommend you create bite-sized lead magnets that pack a value punch and provide a quick win. By doing this you can save yourself loads of time.
For example, you can create:
- Swipe files
- A replay of a workshop you hosted
- A free consultation with you
- Resource lists
- Spreadsheet Templates
- Email courses
- Audio downloads
- Step-by-step blueprints
The choice is yours and you are only limited by your own creativity.
So by now you not only created that piece of content but sprinkled the lead magnet link throughout your post also. That helps takes your content to the next level.
Once your readers have opted in, the fun begins!
We are not going to create a typical Sales funnel. We are going to create a highly effective sales funnel.
For that, we need to immediately transform our subscribers into customers.
How are we gonna do that?
Give them a Tripwire offer/ One Time Offer.
Now let’s talk about what the heck a Tripwire Offer is and why it is the most important part of your funnel.
Step 3: Create the Tripwire Offer
A tripwire is a low priced offer (which is usually less than $50) to a visitor that has just signed up for one of your free lead magnets on your site.
The offer is usually a one-time-offer that can only be accessed on that page (thank you for subscription page) or is a timed offer that is only available for a few minutes or hours.
Instead of redirecting recent subscribers to the freebie immediately or to a thank you page, giving them a quick One Time Offer.
That means striking while the iron is hot and offering them something so irresistible that it’s hard for them to say no.
This is a win-win for both you and your subscriber! They get a nice deal and you get passive income. Cool right?
The main objective of the tripwire offer is to turn that new subscriber into a buyer as soon as possible.
[If you opt-in, the next phase of my funnel (the Intro Offer) will be triggered and you will be presented with the chance to snatch up Smart Sales Series as a one-time offer for $7.]
Do you see how this entire process stays compatible and never deviate from the topic of sales funnels?
That’s the strategy in action.
Each step should feed into the next, without any hiccups or disruptions to the flow.
Why is that important?
Because if you don’t keep your funnels’ steps compatible and on-topic you run the risk of someone closing the window, deleting your emails and moving out from the funnel.
You don’t want that. right?
So to avoid that, keep these few tips in mind…
- Your introductory offer should be affordable and priced under $50 (do a trial and error to find out what pricing works best for you.)
- The offer should be relevant to your content magnet, lead magnet and core offer (coming up next!)
- It should 10x the value they’ve received in your content magnet and lead magnet
- It should be offered on the Thank You page once someone opts in for your lead magnet (more on that in a sec)
- It should not be used as a money-maker—instead, use it to change the relationship from subscriber to the customer (but getting a small amount while growing the list is cool right? Small things adds up. A small help to cover your core product creation cost)
So what can you offer as an introductory offer or Tripwire offer?
- A video course
- A mini package of e-book & 1 or 2 videos
- A one-time audit (of someone’s website, SEO, social media, diet, closet, their systems etc..)
- An e-book you wrote
- A customized diet plan
- Done-for-you graphics
- Audio course
- A paid challenge
- $1 trial for your product or software
- $1 trial on your membership program
Whatever it is, just make sure you rock someone’s world with it.
So how do you go about selling your Intro Offer?
Simple. With your Thank You Page.
How will you create your Thank you page with Tripwire Offer?
Let’s look at the five main components of a tripwire page
- Give clear instructions to the reader about where’s the download they signed up for? Why are they on this page?
- Grab their attention immediately with an enticing headline. When someone signs up for you’re your free email course, they are not expecting that they will be offered something to purchase. So you have to write a headline that captures their attention and convince them that they really have to invest in the product.
- A product description as in the sales page.
- A mock-up or visual of what your offer looks like is extremely powerful.
- A timer to make it clear that this is a one-time offer. A ticking timer drives that impulse buy. The timer can be set for 15 – 20 min.
Now I bet you have a question, and I bet I can guess what it is…
“What if my subscriber doesn’t take up my offer?”.
Well, no worries! This is totally normal.
Whether they take the offer or they decline it, they are going to be sent down an email sequence that will eventually pitch your core offer (sooner or later).
Now you might be thinking, “OMG I don’t want to hurt my list and sell, sell, sell!”, I want you to realize one thing…
While you may be making offers to your subscribers, they are all in line with the content they just consumed. Therefore it doesn’t feel random, pushy or salesy.
Instead, it feels aligned with the topic they are currently interested in.
What does that mean?
That means they likely want to learn more! Yay!!!
Remember, selling your products, programs or services isn’t bad, it’s simply an opportunity to exchange value for value.
Besides, you can always create your email sequences with additional value-packed resources and content that will help them achieve a particular outcome.
Okey… we have created our value-packed content, a killer lead magnet and an amazing tripwire offer, Now what???
Step 4 – Your core offer
This is where everything you’ve created till now comes to a head and you’re given the chance to introduce your product, program or service to the new subscribers.
Which means this is your chance to change someone’s world and achieve your income goal.
One of the most important things to keep in mind with your core offer is you’ve to give a detailed, value-packed product/service that helps your customer achieve a specific outcome, goal or result.
So what can you offer?
Here are a few ideas to get the wheels turning:
- An online course
- Tickets to your premium live event
- High-ticket coaching
- A monthly membership
- Done-for-you services
- Group coaching programs
- A software
- A boot camp
- A physical product
The choice is yours!
So how do we go about actually selling the core offer?
There are many ways you can pitch your core offer.
- Do a live webinar (you can actually share 10-15% of your product content for the webinar) and pitch your product at the end of the webinar, Make sure you have a post webinar email series to increase your sales.
- If you don’t like to go live, I recommend you go for a pre-recorded You can use ever webinar or webinar jam to do this.
- You can create launch email sequence for your core offer, address your reader’s main pain points, walk them through how your core offer helps to solve those problems and back it up with case studies or testimonials.
- You can create a video series of 3-5 videos and give high value to your subscribers and Pitch your core offer in the last Video in the series. Also back it up with case studies and testimonials from your students.
- You could create a free challenge around the core offer and provide with great value and pitch your offer at the end of the challenge.
Options are never ending…
Choose whatever works best for you and your business!
Best of all, you really only need to set it all up once and then it’s just a matter of repeating the process over and over again.
“But what if they don’t opt in…or take up my intro offer…or invest in my core offer?’’
….Is what I imagine you’re thinking to yourself…
Fortunately, it’s a simple fix!
Let’s see how to do that.
Step 5: Capture Lost Leads
Not everyone who signs up for your lead magnet is going to buy. They might need some more time to get to know you.
Or some people will never buy.
In business, it happens.
So don’t feel that you wasted your time on creating and providing value to others.
As long as you’re to help people first, then you should be okay with that.
What you can do, though, is try to see what held them back.
If they don’t purchase your introductory offer:
Offer them one more chance (for 24 hours) to get your offer…at a higher price.
If they still don’t take it up, have an email in your sequence that asks why and invites them to reply back and let you know.
If they don’t purchase your core offer:
Give them a chance to sign up for a webinar that is related to your overall topic where you will be pitching your core offer again.
If they still don’t purchase, or sign up to your webinar:
You can simply tag everyone who clicked through to the webinar sign up page during the sales sequence. (ConvertKit has the tagging feature. This is why I love convertkit)
After the sales sequence, you can create an “if this then that” rule.
- If they bought the course, they’re taken out of the automation.
- If they didn’t buy and they don’t have the tag that they clicked through to the sales page, then they move on to the next step of the automation. (nurture email sequence)
- If they didn’t buy and they do have that tag, though, then they’re put in a short sequence that asks them to fill out a quick survey about why they didn’t buy.
(I started using tagging feature after I received an email from someone saying that what held me back from buying their product.)
No, not everyone fills it out. But a lot of people have. And I’ve found some amazing nuggets of insight in there.
And again, it’s completely automated. I just get an email from Google when someone fills it out.
Then, I take the feedback I get and use it to make my products and services even better. I even use it to make my funnels and sequences better.